Mar 9, 2011

Swapping Cards: A Phillies Trade with Reader John

I was luckily contacted by the collector with quite possibly extensive Phillies collection that I have encountered. His wantlist consists of almost entirely rare inserts and oddball issues. I was able to procure a few cards for him from his wantlist seen here and in return, here are some highlights from the much appreciated and frankly, amazing assortment of cards he sent to me.

2001 Finest Scott Rolen: This is a brand that I have no representative cards of.  2001 was a difficult year to get many cards of affordably because of those players who won the Rookie of the Year that year...whoever they were...some one year wonders.  Anyway, here's Scott Rolen, and he looks lost in a dreamscape.
1962 Post Cereal Clay Dalrymple:  I am a major cereal connoisseur, yet I was not aware that Post released such an extensive set for this year.  Do you know what the most interesting part of this card was (for people who have not seen them before)?  It has a blank back.  It's definitely an interesting way to go.
1960 Topps Jim Owens:  I love the 1960 design, and I never understood why the Phillies logo was a spinning hat during this era.
1997 Bowman Chrome Adam Eaton: The rookie card of one of the least favorite pitchers from the 2008 team. Of course, who doesn't appreciate 1997 Bowman Chrome?

Next, is a trio of 1962 Topps from the high number series, which, for me, were the most incredible part of the package (taking into account my present collecting goals).  High # cards from the '60s are not easy to find for a reasonable price and these cut my Phillies wantlist for 1962 Topps down to two.

The representatives are
Mel Roach
Billy Klaus
Art Mahaffey

Then, there was one card I could not identify without some research.  
1968 Playing Card Antonio "Tony" Gonzalez: The best part is that I only need the Dick Allen to complete the team set for this.

Thanks John and good luck with your quest.

No comments: