Apr 19, 2015

Memories......Leaf Memories

"Memories, light the corners of my mind; misty water color memories of the way we were"



It's unfortunate that the Phillies have a look of the teams from my childhood. The 1988-1990 Phillies were not that pleasant a team to watch, but don't tell that to the younger me.  There were highlights and Leaf took it upon itself to recreate the memories of this team by foil stamping the cards from 1990 Leaf for its 2012 Leaf Memories set.

Don't get me wrong, as with any season, there are reasons to remember.  I think I got excited when Don Carman didn't walk a batter in an inning and when Juan Samuel hit a triple.

Looking back at the cards, it's remarkable how poorly that logo ages.  I do miss the maroon hats sometimes, even though the day game uniforms today trump almost any of the looks that they've had over the years.

In time, we will look back at the names of Galvis, Herrera, Buchanan, Rupp as they were in their most favorable time as a Phillie, which probably (and hopefully) isn't 2015....because that would mean improvement.  It would also mean some shrewd moves by the future front office (for example, turning Chris James into John Kruk).

In terms of the various foil stamping, silver means /20, gold means /5, and red means /1.....because it can.  I think I'm missing three cards to have at least one version of the team set; the curse of being a completist continues.  (This must be some type of AMA certified illness).

Let's see what the dark corners of my mind dig out when glancing at these balanced inspired and dreary memories.
Steve Lake was the backup catcher for a few seasons in there.  He mostly played on weekends probably, so I didn't catch many of his game performances.  Closest comp to the 2015 roster: Cameron Rupp
Carmelo Martinez was only the team for half a season.  I think I remember him hitting a grand slam as a Phillie.  Closest comp to the 2015 roster:  Jeff Francoeur
Terry Mulholland pitched the first ever no-hitter by a Phillie at Veterans Stadium on August 8, 1990.  He was also a key member of the 1993 Phillies.  What a great trade that was in 1989.  Closest comp to the 2015 roster: Cole Hamels (de facto ace)
Randy Ready was the progenitor of the only triple play I saw live.  I remember it was against San Diego in 1991 or 1992.  Closest comp to the 2015 roster: Cesar Hernandez
Jeff Parrett was somebody who I was confused about as a kid.  How could he have so many wins compared to the starters?  If that was the case, why didn't he pitch more so the Phillies could get more wins?  Closest comp to the 2015 roster: Luis Garcia (he has a win)
Darrel Akerfelds entered the bullpen and replaced some non-favorites like Todd Frohwirth.  I always felt like he was decent middle of the bullpen guy.  Closest comp to the 2015 roster: Justin DeFratus
Bruce Ruffin was one the wildest pitchers I remember (not counting Mitch Williams).  It must have all the wild pitches I remember happening.  Closest comp to the 2015 roster: David Buchanan

Well, I guess it could have been worse.  Memories are funny things.


No comments: