Jul 26, 2010

Swapping Cards: Trade with Bud from First Day Issue, etc.

I completed a trade a couple (few?) months ago with Bud of the The First Day Issue. I traded him a few 2008 Masterpieces cards and he sent me a nicely enjoyed package of cards in return. Consider the below a sampling, if you will.



2003 Topps Gallery HOF Mike Schmidt: It's not often you see a mustache-less image of Schmidt. This is one set that I have to take a closer look at; it's right up my alley in terms of retired player subject matter and with hand-painting of the card subjects.
2004 Fleer Greats of the Game Chris Short: This gentleman was overlooked for so long, his first card wasn't until 1967 (see this link). At this point, he had already been an all-star, had a 20 win season, and a season with a 2.20 ERA (158 ERA+).
2001 Topps Gold Label Bobby Abreu: I like to reminisce about the days when the debates among Phillies's fans were whether Abreu was underrated or overrated. I'm still not sure of the answer, probably both.
2000 Metal Scott Rolen: Metal wasn't the same after they took out the comic book images.
2008 Upper Deck Heroes Light Blue Cole Hamels Jersey: There's just something about the Heroes design, still timeless.
1998 Topps Stars (Red) Curt Schilling: Most memorable Curt Schilling moment that I saw live (I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but I will anyway). I saw him strike out 16 batters against the Yankees during interleague play at the Vet (ok, I'm going to track down the date now) on September 1, 1997. I hadn't seen that much excitement...in 4 years.
1983 Fleer Gary Matthews: "Sarge" gives voice to the Phillies these days, but in the early '80s he was a high contact, above average LF with good on-base skills.
2001 Upper Deck Decade '70s Garry Maddox: I don't care if I've said this before on here, I'll say it again here. "2/3 of the Earth is covered by water, the other 1/3 is covered by Garry Maddox"2004 Playoff Honors Jim Thome: Thome has the best socks of the decade, no matter which team he's been on. I think he'll reach 600 HR for his career.

Thanks for the trade Bud!

1 comment:

night owl said...

Love that Maddox card!