Jul 5, 2009

The Allen and Ginter Obsession

Like many out there, I strive to collect Topps Allen and Ginter practically every year. I was not in the collecting game when it made its debut in 2006, but since then I have pursued these cards with a zeal not seen since the Goonies.

I have the 2008 set, but only through simple, non-obsessive means. I purchased the 350 base set for only $19.97 a few weeks ago. For some reason, I didn't want to buy a hobby box. Besides the Baseball Icons and Ancient Icons mini inserts, I wasn't really interested in the other sets (Crack the Code, World Leaders) enough to buy a hobby box. Buying a couple blasters and a hand collated set satisfied me in 2008.

2007 was the obsession peak. I was newly back in the game of the collecting world, and it caught my eye as interesting and collectible. I bought a hobby box, I completed the base set, I completed two of the Dick Perez sketch set, I completed the many of the insert sets...every day was an ebay search for new and interesting cards.

2009 looks even better and varied than 2008 and just as interesting as 2007. I fear I will get lost again. Air will not matter as much as acquring the latest shortprint.

No comments: