We're all looking forward to the 2013 collecting season (coming January 30th or so to a theatre near you). The 2013 Topps set offers the promise that the upcoming collecting season will be full of familiarity and twists as well as nostalgia and commemoration.
For the first time, I opened a jumbo box of the ubiquitous flagship product; I will not be doing this again. I was swung by the siren song of gold rush wrapper redemptions (check out my wantlist; I actually am trying for that set!) and promise of inserts, inserts, and gold....delicious gold. Gold like honey to drizzle all over the collection boxes and leave them begging for more. That might have been gratuitous, but you get the idea.
Here is how opening a jumbo box goes:
1. Hey, look at the size of those packs; I can make a new Bay Bridge with those packs.
2. There's a relic....that card is thick. Check out all the metal on that card; I wonder if it's magnetic.
3. How many more timeless talents inserts are there? Can't I make a mural of these instead of collect them.
4. Halfway through the box now, I only have 5 pack rips left. That makes a sad.
5. I'm noticing a theme with the insert cards. Why are they all erased at the bottom?
6. A duplicate? From a box in this house? 30 duplicates in a row from the same pack? You go back in there and sit in the naughty corner until you change into non-duplicates. Think about being individualist in the post-modern sense....that should do the trick.
7. It's over....there's a big stack of cards.....and no set to chase.....the end.
8. What do you mean I need 4 more wrappers for the wrapper redemption?!?
Here's what came out of the pack ripping thoughts....
I didn't show any base cards, but I do have them all...
Anyway, time to look forward, not backward....happy collecting season 2013....