Some of us are collectors and have turned towards the majesty of the Ginter to light the way, but not all of us are so lucky to have new packs and boxes to rip just on the day of its annointed arrival into the world.
Here are some alternative activities that may or may not have occurred on this night for me.
1. Reenacted the last scene of "The Natural" with various cards and bobblehead dolls.
2.Cleaned the dishes by hand, and after every dish was completed, kissed my fingers and pointed them to the sky a la Sammy Sosa.
3. Practiced headlocks on unsuspecting neighbors that were running at me.
4. Watched the ESPYs while wearing a tuxedo.
5. Wrote letters to friends using hieroglyphs of MLB team logos.
6. Canvassed the neighborhood with petitions to put a baseball on the ballot as a candidate for the state senate.
7. Timed out the 7th inning stretch from a 7:05 start time in each time zone and sang "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" each time.
8. Drank as many sodas as possible to make a chair in the shape of a baseball glove out of the empty cans.
9. Held a home run derby in the living room with broomsticks and ping pong balls.
As you can see, there are many ways to keep busy while there isn't baseball or Ginter around to occupy your time in these hazy summer months. Thankfully, this is the only day like this during the season. Feel free to use any of these ideas for next year if you must.